First, a note from author Susie Coleman…
Not everyone agrees on melody lines. If you’ve tried Googling an old song, I’m sure you’ve found that there are an amazing number of versions out there. Here at Folkslingers.com, I’ve attempted to express the most common form of the melody in my recall from 50 years of playing and collecting open-chord songs for the acoustic guitar. I’ve also reviewed countless audio and video files as a reality check to get a good look at how other people are performing these tunes and I share some of them with you in our song profiles.
While all the songs found in the Fabulous Folksongs Every Girl Should Know series are old, I do not attempt to perform them specifically with old-timey expression. For teaching purposes, I choose to perform the majority of the songs with a folksy, slightly contemporary treatment. It’s my intention to show women and girls that these songs – in addition to being historical treasures – are still lovely, still relevant and still have a lot to offer today’s musician.
I heartily invite you to adapt these songs to your personal style, modern or otherwise.
Besides gaining access to great practice material, you’ll find some incredible story songs that I hope will inspire you. Perform them alongside whatever creative music you’ve written. Traditional tunes sung in a contemporary setting makes both old and new tunes sparkle. Even if you perform a traditional song in a nontraditional way, playing this music is like standing in the grass in bare feet. It just feels like home.
So come on home, sister…
- Add unforgettable songs to your repertoire.
- Most arrangements are easy to play but there are challenging ones to help you grow.
- Learn new chords and strumming mechanics.
- We have three collections currently available: Traditional Treasures, Family Favorites and Gospel Goodies.
- All titles in the Fabulous Folksongs Every Girl Should Know series have been researched and are believed to reside in the Public Domain.
- Books are available in both digital (.pdf) and coil-bound format. With a digital copy, you can print out just the songs you want to study in depth… or simply use it on your iPad or laptop.
- Use the links on the Song List page access to video demonstrations of the melodies in all books.