Guitar and Vocal Instruction
Susie Coleman gives music lessons at her home in Pegram, Tennessee, and via Skype. She will also bring lessons to your home for an extra $5 per lesson if you live nearby.
We start with the basics of playing the guitar. Learn how to:
- hold, string, and tune your guitar
- understand rhythm and pitch
- read and use a time signature
- make all open major, minor and domimant 7th chords
- play steadily with your strumming hand
- smoothly play chords commonly used in standard keys
- identify chord structure patterns of simple songs
- use a capo
30 minute sessions: Single lesson: $30 Series of four: $100
50 minute sessions: Single lesson: $45 Series of four: $150
Rhythm Guitar for Singers
This course is for women and girls who have had a little experience with a guitar and want to put it to use. You will learn:
- chord families for all major singing keys
- how to maintain a steady beat
- how to understand time and play in different “feels”
- how to hear and walk simple bass lines
- how to choose the right key for your voice
- how to read and write a chord chart
- how to use the Nashville Number System
- how to construct simple but interesting arrangements
- lots and lots and lots of songs
30 minute sessions: Single: $30 Series of four: $100
50 minute sessions: Single: $45 Series of four: $150
Warm Up to Blast Off
This is a three-part workshop to help you become a stronger, more in-control singer. Susie explains simple but an effective warm-up method that will help you have outstanding pitch and sustain, and all the air you will ever need every time you sing. It’s a progressive study for men and women who love to sing but would like more confidence and power in their performance.
- The importance of warming up more than your voice
- The order of attention: timing, pitch, air control
- Taking care of your vocal chords
- How to clear and stretch your resonance chamber
- Body breathing: exercises to build and conserve air
- How to practice: intervals and scales
- Exercises to improve pitch
- Exercises to control volume
- Study: soft tones vs. hard tones
- Find your starting note from a guitar chord
- Review progress with scales exercise and pitch accuracy
- More exercises for singing with better precision and expression
- What is your range?
- How to hold a microphone
- Create a personal 10-minute warm-up routine.
One two-hour session followed by two one-hour sessions: $200
Bring a friend: 10% off each student with multiple student discount.
About Lesson Appointments
You can email Susie to schedule a lesson. Please arrive on time. Sessions are meant to be 25-30 minutes long (kids) or 45-50 minutes long (adults), starting on at the scheduled appointment time. Please come prepared to make your next appointment at the end of each session.
Payment for lessons is due in advance, by cash or check. Payment can also be made by debit or credit card at Paypal.com. Advance payments are non-refundable.
Rescheduling a Lesson
To build on what you learn, each session should follow another in a timely fashion. Momentum is particularly important in the process of learning to play a musical instrument. Putting too much time between lessons can interfere with your progress. However, we understand that sometimes things happen beyond your control. Rescheduling requires a minimum of 24 hours advance notice. Please do not ask to reschedule more than one lesson out of each four lesson series.
Missed appointments without an attempt at rescheduling will result in forfeiture of payment for the scheduled session.
Camps & Group Lessons Coming Up
Alabama Folk School, Camp McDowell, Nauvoo, Alabama
From Scratch Weekend, February 17-19, 2017
- Want to learn to play an instrument? Even if you’ve never picked a note, you will walk away with confidence, knowing the basics and a few tunes.
Old Time Weekend, October 13-16, 2016
- This is one fun, wonderful weekend of old time music study. A fabulous location featuring the coolest pickers.
Mars Hill University
Blue Ridge Old Time Music Week, June 5-10, 2016
- Advanced Beginner and Scratch Beginner courses, plus “Ready, Set, Sing!”, a one hour workshop on effective vocal exercises. A whole week of traditional music bliss.